RG Fiber is the country’s first operational software-driven fiber optic network. We launched our proof-of-concept in May of 2015 in Baldwin City, Kansas. We design, build, operate, and maintain our network with 4 differentiators: reliability, speed, affordability, and neighborly service.
In 2013, Mike’s software company outgrew the local internet capacity in his hometown of Baldwin City, Kansas. He set out to build the network his town needed. (See News Article)
9 months in, he learned the economics of traditional model simply wouldn’t work for his small town. As skepticism grew, Mike reimagined how network could be designed, built, operated, and maintained with software. This software didn’t yet exist. So he over 12 months, he built it. This software drastically changed the economics, making the dream of better internet a possibility.
In 2015, the proof of concept was launched. (see article)
In 2015, RG Fiber launched a proof of concept phase to prove this software model can outperform the traditional model. By the end of 2016, the results spoke for themselves.
- Greater than 99.99% reliability
- Speeds approx. 100x the industry average
- 10x + the speed for roughly the same monthly price
- WiFi speeds over 800Mbps
- A customer waiting list of 1,284
- A NPS (net promoter score) of 74 against an industry average of 16.*
- A network of 12.5 million fiber-feet throughout Douglas County
- A Board of Directors established with executives from K&W Underground, Zillow, and Black and Veatch
- Oh, and remodeled one of Baldwin’s oldest buildings, the Osborn Building at 713 High Street
Today, RG Fiber is working to bring gigabit to the rest of us, the 34,000 underserved small town communities across the country. If you’re interested in RG Fiber service, you can signup (if service is available in your area) or join our waiting list (and get updates on our progress) by clicking here. If you’re a community leader and you want to work with us to bring RG Fiber to your community, please contact us at 785-594-5414.
*Net Promoter Score is a measurement of customer satisfaction ranging from -100 to 100. The industry average ranges from 2 to 33 according to Temkin Group Q3 2016 Consumer Benchmark Survey.